Friday, October 10, 2014

We are FINALLY MOVED!

What an ordeal this has been for us! But, we are finally moved into our new place! Even though we were only moving right down the street--it was still a huge move! To kind of recap the events, back in march we had a falling out with our two landlords. Jay had done some work for them and they did not pay what was agreed upon. When we threatened to take them to court, we got an eviction notice. After finding out our rights, we decided they couldn't make us move and we were going to take our own time finding another place to live. Jay had broken his foot sleep walking and we were just not in any shape physically or mentallty to actually move.
     We started looking for another place to live, and oh my gosh the rat holes people wanted to rent was unbelievable. One place just smelled of death and Jay and I couldn't even picture us living there. Once the landlords realized they couldn't make us move, and things started to smooth over, they offered to move us down the street. They wanted our old unit for the garage and to up the rent. Well, legally they had a right to up the rent, but we couldn't afford the new rent so we waited for this unit to become vacant.
     The lady that was living in the unit they wanted us to have had been here for years. she was elderly and ill. Evidently the lady stopped paying her rent. The landlords took her to court for an eviction. Every time we thought she was going to move out she extended her stay through the court due to her health. Finally, the judge gave her 30 days to move out. On Sept 1st the unit became available. 
     The worker's then ripped up the carpet and started to lay tile through the entire unit. Jay and I came down here to look and we didn't really like it much at first. then, the landlords asked Jay to paint it and me to clean it. And, then, we fell in love with it. We were so thrilled to get this unit ready for us to move in. by the last week of september, jay and I had the unit ready to move in. So many things have to happen before you can move with the gov't assistance we are under. The unit had to be inspected so I started calling the inspector that last week of september and was getting no where. Finally I spoke to my case manager and she set up a date and time for the inspection. I think that was Thursday the second. We passed inspection and I called around to get all the utilities transferred. 
     When you walk in the front door, the kitchen island extends to the living area on the right. (all the way down the counter I placed my Jim Shore angels). they put in a black side by side refrigerator with water and ice in the door. The doors hold 2 gallon jugs!! They also put in the matching black flat top range! woohoo! The living area and dining area are almost 2 feet wider than are old unit. There is a huge walk in closet in the master bedroom and large bathroom. The computer/craft room is nice too! The washer and dryer are on the back porch which is enclosed but not temperature controlled. We share a large front porch with our neighbors who are really quiet and nice. We just love it! 
     I thought this move was going to kill me and jay both. Last friday the missionaries and brother palmer came at 1 o'clock to move the bed and a lot of the boxes out of the garage. We also started to move loose stuff and pictures. They also got everything down from the attic--mostly christmas stuff. I didn't want my eagle or portrait of Christ to get broke. I still had a lot of packing to do from the stuff that Jay and I had out and were using on a daily basis. I was exhausted by late afternoon. There were boxes stacked everywhere. 
     I started to unpack the stuff that was brought over as we needed more empty boxes to move the stuff that was still at the old place. I worked around the clock. I always get my kitchen in order first. then, everything else seems to fall into place. my neighbor that lived across the street, Ms. Ann is 74 and she couldn't lift anything but she let me load up her suv twice to bring loads down the street to our new place. She also took me to mcdonalds' to get a burger and fries. And then, another neighbor did a load in his car. I slept about 2 or three hours. 
     On saturday morning around 9 o'clock, brother mcdonald showed up with an army from the church with trucks and trailers. Even the Bishop came to help. I told him that I was so tired I didn't think I would be able to lift anything. He said, 'you shouldn't have to. save your strength for unpacking and just supervise.' The missionary girls started packing anything that wasn't in a box. They even broke the computer down for me. The 'army' worked diligently loading the big stuff and anything else they could grab. Jay of course didn't listen to me to slow down. He worked along with the men loading the trucks and trailers. They finished in time for a special meeting at the church at 12 noon!! WOW When I need my church family, they always come through for me. They didn't even break my green ware !!! But boy did I have a job ahead of me! 
    Jay nor I, can stand for anything to be in a box. I had not seen my things since april so I really wanted to start sorting out the boxes. Also, I had to make room for that last load...the load that has the most loose stuff that you don't know where to put it. I worked and unpacked till the wee hours of sunday morning and got about three hours of sleep. 
    On Sunday, we waited around to get that last load. the landlords and their sons always work through the weekend, and it just so happened that one of the guys had a trailer on the back of his truck. So, Jay and I went for that last load. I had already moved everything to the garage, in the old unit, except the refrigerated items and the clothes and shoes in the closets. The boys helped and was it a mess all the loose stuff. They didn't need the trailer, so they parked it in the drive way and Jay and I unloaded it a little at a time. I started finding a home for everything. 
     Jay and I believe in that little household rule that 'everything has a home. And if you put it back in it's home, you don't need to hunt for it everytime'. Especially for things like scissors and keys and small tools. Important papers get filed in the proper place then you can put your hands on it when needed. Jay and I work well together--we are a team, but don't think a few cuss words were not thrown around! LOL Oh he can be so aggravating. Let me tell you, this move, I hope, I hope, I hope, is the last move we have to make! Already the place is HOME SWEET HOME to us. I don't intend on giving the landlords a reason to ask us to move--We ALL learned our lessons and are getting along fine now. Something about this new home and new beginning seems to just feel so right. 
     Already, Jay and I have everything unpacked. Persons have said they think this is the fastest they have seen anyone get a new place lived in. You would think we have been here for years. The AT&T u-verse technician even said, 'doesn't look like yah'll just moved in--looks like you have been here forever.' We even have our stuff hung on the walls. That was a lot of fun! Jay does have a knack for decorating thank goodness. I am probably the one who is the most stubborn. 
    Boots' nerves were shot during the moving and unpacking. But she seems to be doing great now. I am finally getting some sleep and I rested in the afternoon. I slept really well last night. Now it is time to find a routine and get used to the new place. All that will come in time. Oh, and by the way, the air conditioner works great--I hope our light bill here is manageable. There are no vaulted ceilings like in the other unit. We don't have an attic to speak of here--it is all pipes and duct work, so, my christmas stuff will probably go in the walk in closet once we have another yard sale. How do two people have so much stuff~~wow!
     I just walked boots and now I think I am going to have a nap. I am waiting for a ride to go pick up my medicine and to the dollar general. I hope everyone is doing okay. I am going to have a lot of emails to sort through. Good to be back and I can't wait to hear from everyone! hugs, and happy stitching, Queeny